Black Brownie



Last month, we happened to be in the Seah Street area and I recalled that there is a baking store nearby. Read from somewhere that Sun Lik sells Valrhona cocoa powder in small amount, so I swung by and got a 200g packet at S$8.50. It is the first time I invested in the much acclaimed dutch-processed coca powder. Was pretty excited about it and yearning to try it out. Found time to bake with this yesterday. The color of the brownie does look very black as compared to those made with natural cocoa powder. In fact, the color looks a bit charcoal-like in the photo? I did not use any highlight in the photo above and it is taken using my iPhone 5S on a gloomy day. 

I followed the recipe from Smitten Kitchen. Love how easy the recipe is. Here're the ingredients I used, and please refer to her blog for her complete recipe and method.

Ingredients:

140g unsalted butter
125g demerera sugar (reduced from 250g in original recipe)
65g valrhona cocoa powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 drop vanilla paste (1tsp pure vanilla extract in original recipe)
2 eggs
65g cake flour (AP flour in original recipe)

Notes:
- Bake at 160C for 20 to 25 mins

As I reduced the sugar drastically, the brownie was not too sweet - just nice for my taste bud but you may use more sugar if you prefer sweeter taste. The brownie has an intense chocolate flavor, and fairly soft - not quite the fudgy kind I was expecting. At least now I have tried baking with dutch-processed cocoa powder :) Am still wondering what to bake with the remaining cocoa powder - it is too stressful to bake with such expensive ingredient :D

Happy baking! :)


Comments