Crunchy Almond Cookies


I love crunchy cookies. These almond cookies were baked using Nasi Lemak Lover's recipe. A big thank you to her for sharing this easy-to-follow recipe. I ran out of corn flour during baking (only 128g left), so I substituted the rest with yellow cornmeal flour, which I purchased a few months ago to bake Kenny Roger's Corn Muffins :D 

There aren't many recipes that used yellow cornmeal, except corn bread or muffins, so I had no idea what to do with the balance. There were some cookies recipes using yellow cornmeal, so it was an impromptu decision to substitute with it when I was in the midst of preparing the recipe.

These cookies are crunchy on the outside, not sure how to describe the inside of the cookies. But the salty aftertaste gave them a 古早味 feeling, like cookies I had eaten during childhood. I used 1/2tsp of salt and felt that was sufficient.

Here's the list of ingredients I used based on what I had on hand. Please visit Nasi Lemak Lover's blog for the original recipe and method.

Ingredients

- 160g unsalted butter, soften
- 100g golden granulated sugar
- 120g ground almond (bought from Phoon Huat)
- 128g corn flour + 42g yellow cornmeal (bought from Phoon Huat)
- 1/2tsp salt
- 2/3 tsp double-acting baking powder

Method

1. Mix butter, sugar and salt together in a mixing bowl with a wire whisk until batter is white and fluffy.
2. Add ground almond to batter and mix with a spatula.
3. Add corn flour, cornmeal and baking powder and mix with a spatula. Batter will come together to form a dough.
4. Roll dough with a rolling pin (sandwich dough between 2 pieces of cling wrap for easy handling). Cut with a cookie cutter. Transfer to baking pan lined with baking sheet.
5. Bake in 170 degC preheated oven for 20 mins or until golden brown.

Baking almond cookies reminds me of my ex-colleague/friend, as she love almond cookies and I have not had the chance to bake for her before. Now that she is back in Singapore, hopefully one day I can bake these for her.

The ugly cookies at the back were rolled and flatten by hand. The pretty ones in front were rolled with a rolling pin, and cut using a cookie cutter. See the difference?

Comments