CNY Peanut Cookies 2014


CNY is just 2 weeks away, and my CNY baking continues.. :)

Last year, I made peanut cookies using the recipe from Food 4 Tots. It was an interesting challenge as I learned how to make them from scratch, i.e. from dry frying the peanuts, removing skins, and so on. That was a long process. This year, I found some grounded peanut in my fridge, apparently leftover after I made muah chee sometime ago. What a breeze it was to make peanut cookies with grounded peanuts! :)


This time, I followed the recipe from Irene myme's 最爱。。。。blog. Thanks to Irene myme for sharing this recipe :)

The ingredients are few and simple. I've made some minor adjustments to accommodate the ingredients I have on hand:

1. 229g ground peanuts (that's all I had)
2. 220g plain flour (I did not calculate the ratio, and as I prefer more peanuts over flour)
3. 120g canola oil (instead of peanut oil)
4. 100g icing sugar
5. 1/2 tsp low-sodium salt

This time I really bake by "feeling", as I am not able to explain the amount of ingredients I used. The amount of flour, oil and sugar used was based on rough estimation. Fortunately, the cookies turned out well :)  I think it'll be better to use the formula to derive the amount of sugar and oil as suggested by Food 4 Tots.

The steps are very simple -  mix all ingredients together with a spatula to form a dough. I used a straw to make the little imprint, and apply egg wash on the cookies (1 egg yolk + 2 tsp of water). Bake at 180 degC for 15 mins. Please use your own discretion on timing since you understand your oven best.

The result of this is melt-in-the-mouth kind of peanut cookies. I think icing sugar helps make that effect.

If you are interested to know the verdict from my hubby - he said the cookies are very nice! :)

I like the nutty fragrance and melt-in-the-mouth texture. Although I am not sure why are there cracks on the cookies. To me, the best part is knowing exactly what were added into these cookies. These cookies are very easy to make, do try out when you can :)



Comments

  1. I've never made peanut cookies as my children weren't into peanuts (I don't know why!). But finally after 7 and 5 years of their age, they start eating peanuts! I'm sure next we have to try is peanut cookies. Personally I would love this more than PB sandwich... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nami, I think you and kids will love these :) Some people are allergic to peanuts so gotta be careful. Chinese thinks that peanut is heaty so do drink more water :) My girl loves it :)

      Delete

Post a Comment