It is exam season in Singapore, and although my little one has no exams as she is in Primary 2, there are tests spread over May. She is no doubt a smart little girl, but she needs a little push and reminder to study (and nagging) :p I hate nagging, really :p
Prior to today, I was never successful in baking chiffon cake. I've been wanting to try again. I like cakes with soft and fluffy texture, and there is no butter used in chiffon cake, which is healthier.
I referred to Small Small Baker and Anncoo's recipes on Green Tea Chiffon Cake. Their chiffon cakes look so tall and beautiful! :) Last Friday, I tried baking the same cake in paper chiffon cake mold (as I do not have a tube pan), I under-baked them and they slided down from the molds when I turn them upside down! That experience made me very depressed for a while :p So today, I baked them in muffin cups, and refer to HHB's recipe on Mango Chiffon Cupcakes for the baking time :)
Thank you to the ladies, this time I finally baked chiffon cake :D The cakes rose so high in the oven, but strunk a lot after cooling down :p
Recipe from SSB, method from Anncoo and HHB :)
3 egg yolks
42g cake flour (I used Top flour)
6g matcha powder
36g vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
3 egg whites
54g sugar (I used 45g, as advised by SSB that it can be reduced)
6g corn flour
1. Whisk egg yolks with sugar.
2. Add water gradually.
3. Add oil gradually.
4. Add sifted cake flour and matcha powder. Mix until the batter looks sticky.
5. In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites using a handheld mixer until foamy.
6. Add sugar and corn flour in a few batches to egg whites and continue beating until stiff peak.
7. Take a third of the meringue and mix into the egg yolk batter. Mix them thoroughly. Then, pour it into the meringue and fold with a spatula until they are mixed evenly.
8. Bake in 180 degree celcius preheated oven for 15mins.**
9. Leave oven door open for a few mins before cooling the cupcakes on wire rack.
** Update: The tops of my cupcakes look wet after I left them in room temperature for about 10 hours. Perhaps I need to extend the baking time slightly, for another 2 mins...
|The cupcakes look kinda cute in the oven :D|
|A peek into the oven - nicely-risen cupcakes :)|